[EVA] Anno quotes II - Newtype

R.J.N rjn at beeb.net
Fri Dec 3 18:27:10 EST 2004

>From Newtype Japan 1996-11 pp20-3 via PA43 translation.

On his interest in psychology affecting Eva;
"I didn't have any interest in studying human psychology in the past.
I only took a course about it in University, but I suppose I always
had something in my mind to analyse human psyche. I thought I wasn't
interested in humans very much, but then when I started talking about
myself, I neededwords to explain. So I started reading books on
psychology. From Episode #16, EVANGELION'S story went into the
direction to ask just what the human mind is all about inside. I wrote
about myself. My friend lent me a book on human psychological illness
and this gave me a shock, as if I finally found what I needed to say."

On the Eva TV ending's reception;
"Lately due to the ending of episodes #25 and #26, some people started
watching Evangelion. They were not animé fans. In fact many of them
are females and they tell me that they really enjoyed episode #25,
objectively. Most animé fans are furious. I understand their anger. I
can't help laughing when hard-core animé fans say that we did a very
lousy job, with intentional negligence. No we didn't. No staff members
did a lousy job. In fact every member at gainax gave more energy than
anybody can imagine. I feel sad that those fans couldn't see our
efforts. Personally I think the original TV ending we showed ended up
beautifully."

On Eva's challenge to fans;
"Evangelion is like a puzzle, you know. Any person can see it and give
his/her own answer. In other words we're offering viewers to think by
themselves, so that each person can imagine his/her own world. we will
never offer the answers, even in the theatrical version. As for many
Evangelion viewers, they may expect us to provide the all-about-Eva
manuals, but there is no such thing. Don't expect to get answers by
someone. Don't expect to be catered to all the time. We all have to
find our own answers."
RJN