Fw: [EVA] Anno quotes @ Anime Expo '96

R.J.N rjn at beeb.net
Sat Dec 4 06:41:08 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "R.J.N" <rjn at beeb.net>
To: "Federico Dominguez Pousada" <federico_dominguez at ciudad.com.ar>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 11:03 PM
Subject: Re: [EVA] Anno quotes @ Anime Expo '96

:
: ----- Original Message -----
: From: "Federico Dominguez Pousada"
<federico_dominguez at ciudad.com.ar>
: To: "R.J.N" <rjn at beeb.net>; "The english-language evangelion mailing
: list." <evangelion at shinobu.onegeek.org>
: Sent: Monday, November 29, 2004 10:55 PM
:
: : Yes, plz!
:
: All from Protoculture Addicts #43 pp40-1. Anime Expo '96 interview.
:
: On Gendou
: "Gendo is the type of person who can see & think about the welfare
of
: an organisation as a whole. In other words, he'd do anything to
: succeed. He takes drastic and extreme measures, by fair means or
foul,
: or by hook or by crook, in order to accomplish his own purpose. In
: some ways he's mean, he hardly cares about Shinji."
:
: On Eva's signifigance to him
: "Evangelion is my life, and I have put everything I know into this
: work. This is my entire life. My life itself."
:
: On why EoE has a different ending (referring to Misato & Ritsuko)
: "I truly believe that sex and violence are part of our human life.
: These days in Japan, I think Japanese children nedd to know about
: those things more....instead of being protected too much from the
: society. Those matters are a little like poison: we need to give
them
: to the children little by little to establish an immunity, so they
: would have the ability and mental strength to resist. A lot of youth
: know just doesn't have this immunity, and when something terrible
: happens, they just can't deal with it. In a way, the poison can be
the
: medication at the same time, and I believe the more we know about
: those things, the more we can protect ourselves against specific
: matters."
:
: On Rei
: "Rei-chan is very popular, I think that she's very quiet and doesn't
: wish to talk very much, and doesn't complain. In Japan, I suppose
: girls like that are very much desired. They're quiet and patient,
: don't complain and work hard. As for Rei-chan, she was created as a
: pilot for Evangelion....in other words, she is a clone of a human
: being. When we humans are born, in general, we just show up without
ha
: ving a purpose in human life! Later, we find a purpose and choose
our
: own way and decide how to live our life. Rei-chan's case is not like
: that. She was created with the purpose solely of being an Eva's
pilot
: and I'm not quite sure if she's happy." Rei means "Zero", derived
from
: the WW2 Mitsubishi fighter/kamikaze planes.
:
: On himself
: "For my daily diet I eat and love tofu, and I like fish too. I'm not
: strict vegetarian, but I don't like the taste of meat, so I end up
: eating vegetables."
: "Oh, if I had some free time and if this would become possible, I'd
: love to travel in the universe. I'd love to ride inside the space
: shuttle and visit different sites in space. That would be very
: exciting, to see all planets and discover new things! The universe
is
: limitless"
: "I'm kinda shy myself and don't know much about the feelings of
young
: women. In order tro write something like Evangelion, to create
Misato
: and other young women, I have to understand more about feelings and
: their behaviours. Reading romance novels seems to help a lot."
:
: On animé's popularity outside Japan
: "Why has our animation become so popular in foreign countries?
: RJN
: "
: