[EVA] Episode title translation questions

Chris Johnson chrajohn at alumni.indiana.edu
Fri Feb 6 17:33:55 EST 2004

A couple questions I've been wondering about for a while:

(1) Episode 16 - The Literal Translation Project
gives "Disease to die, and...", while I believe
ADV used "Sickness unto Death, and then..."
Obviously they mean the same thing, but the ADV
version has an added connotation, as "Sickness
Unto Death" is the standard English title for one
of Kierkegaard's books.  (Checking around, the
Danish title appears to be "Sygdommen til
Døden".)  Any evidence this was an intentional
reference on the part of GAINAX?  Or was it
something ADV added?

(2) Episode 26 - Both the LTP and ADV give "The
Beast that Shouted "I" at the Heart of the
World".  When I first saw the series, I thought
that was such a cool title, given the focus on
the nature of the self and its relation to the
rest of the world.

It's been noted that this is a reference to
Harlan Ellison's "The Beast that Shouted Love at
the Heart of the World".  I was wondering how
certain we were that the title is using the
English pronoun 'I'.  Is this this a multilingual
pun?
Chris Johnson                	  chrajohn at alumni.indiana.edu

"In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse."
	-- T.S. Eliot, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"