[EVA] Episode title translation questions

Peter Svensson sun1jack at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 22:43:58 EST 2004

>It's been noted that this is a reference to Harlan Ellison's "The Beast
>that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World".  I was wondering how certain
>we were that the title is using the English pronoun 'I'.  Is this this a
>multilingual pun?

It's a pun. It reads in Japanese along the terms of "The Beast that Shouted
"AI" at the Heart of the World."

The "AI" is written in Katakana IIRC, which either means that it's a foreign
word being phonetically rendered in Japanese,  in which case it has the
meaning of the English word "I" or that it is a Japanese word, but meant to
be emphasized, in which case it means "Love."

But yes, it is a Harlan Ellison reference, one that ADV missed when
translating the series it seems...

Peter Svensson
http://www.scmasquerade.com - The Silicon City Masquerade