[EVA] Eva Manga Stage 74

RJN rjn at beeb.net
Mon Nov 6 15:53:14 EST 2006

>Things *had* to go that way or Kaworu wouldn't have been an Angel. To
ask of the author to make him consider the odds of survival of the cat
above zero was to ask of him to think that humanity and the Angels
could live together, and that Shinji could've gotten away by running
away once more. "Maybe humans could survive without me (=Shinji)
deciding to kill Kaworu" is something that won't work and we see
Shinji become aware of that and of the responsibility it entails for
him.

> Shinji lacked the ability to discriminate, otherwise he would have
> been repulsed by Kaworu & remembered Kaworu's act.  Perhaps the fact
> he did not was in part due to brutalisation from his experiences.
> :

On the contrary, he *does* remember and he *feels* to be in the very
same spot, which is exactly the way things are. Shinji *has* to accept
the blood on his hands and to become what he was just moments before
regarding with revulsion, and there is no lack of imagination in this.
Unlike tv-Kaworu, there is no manipulation in his words to Shinji
here: humanity *will* die if it doesn't
prevail over the angels, and this is something we too have to accept
as an axiom
of this show.

@@I think I see where you're coming from, but the kitten could just as
easily have been freed to a "survival of the fittest" Darwinian theme.
This IMO could have been sufficiently metaphorical for the angels v
humankind theme.

The TV-Kaworu did make it clear that it was angels or humans that
would surviv, not both. IIRC he personalised the angel side to
himself, which actually made it simpler for TV-Shinji (& the viewers?)
to understand.

Manga, "lost on paper", can never reflect tone of voice & mood music.
Interpretation of how things are said & emotions experienced are
therefore more ambiguous. The manga is not Verdi or Handel's "Messiah"
IMO.  Perhaps Wagner or Richard Strauss instead?
RJN