[EVA] Eva Manga Stage 74

RJN rjn at beeb.net
Mon Nov 6 16:00:44 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <once at ix.netcom.com>
<evangelion at shinobu.onegeek.org>
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: [EVA] Eva Manga Stage 74

: Unlike tv-Kaworu, there is no
: >manipulation in his words to Shinji here: humanity *will* die if it
doesn't
: >prevail over the angels, and this is something we too have to
accept as an axiom
: >of this show.
:
: I don't know if the TV Kaworu manipulated Shinji, or if Shinji,
desperate for comfort and empathy, manipulated himself. I also regard
as axiomatic that human beings are the prime movers of events in
Evangelion, and thus ultimately the war in Eva is between different
conceptions of "humanity," with the Angels as a powerful, but
ultimately peripheral force in the struggle. The kind of humanity that
seems most at risk of dying is that which is most admirable, the one
exemplified by Misato and Kaji.

Eva is to an extent anti-individual in theme (& perhaps more Japanese
as a result?). Misato, Kaji, Asuka are all rebels in a way. Ritsuko
was in EoE.  Gendou is also.  I think Shinji wants to break away too.
Perhaps now he's psyched up to try & be one again, last time he
rebelled was after Toji was killed.  The irony is Toji was due to
Shinji's inaction, Kaworu is from his direct action.