[EVA] Manga Stage 75

M bochan at r4.dion.ne.jp
Mon Nov 27 16:09:03 EST 2006

> Sadamoto brilliantly managed in a single stage to give a consistent
> reason why Shinji should be miserable as he is in the movies.
> <snip>
> Shinji testifies once again that he is willing to go against danger to
> protect loved ones (as opposed to doing it for the greater cause,
> as he points out to Misato), but he's finding a hard time doing so
> when his loved ones are dying around him or ceasing to be
> the way he knew them.
> <snip>
>  We had wondered how Sadamoto would've handled the
> Beginning of the End, and now we know. Great stage.

As you say, Sadamoto seems to be changing details and sequences but
still keeping the main story more or less the same.  All other
changes aside, I think the defining difference between the manga and
the anime can be summed up as the character of the protagonist, which
is:

Anime-Shinji = Anno

Manga-Shinji = Sadamoto
(or at least how Sadamoto sees himself thinking/behaving under
similar circumstances)

Anno =! Sadamoto

Therefore,

Anime-Shinji =! Manga-Shinji
(and thus Anime =! Manga)

And given the difference in character between anime-Shinji (weak,
passive, self pity, running away) and manga-Shinji (shows backbone,
thinks about others, willing to go against danger to protect what he
loves), we can further hypothesize that in terms of personal
character/humanity:

Sadamoto ≥ Anno

I think the manga has to be read and interpreted from this viewpoint
rather than compared to the anime, since they are essentially
different stories using the same setting and flow of events rather
than simply an "original" and a "remake/bastardization".  Especially
since the two works were developed concurrently, and the manga even
led the anime for a short time.

Also, Sadamoto was more important to the anime storyline than most
people are aware.  He was not just a character designer and
occasional collaborator or sounding board.  Had it not been for
Sadamoto, the anime as we know it would be completely different, and
would not even have been named "Evangelion".

"M"