[EVA] The soul in Eva 00 belonged to Rei 1, the first Rei clone

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 13:40:51 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM, V V <frumious99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Q:"Whose soul is in Eva-00?"
>
> A: "A major rule of the Eva-verse is that you can't clone a soul ("soul" here isn't necessarily a spiritual/religious concept, it's an energy-imprint of a metaphysical nature like Ghost in the Shell...super-science, really).  Clones are just lifeless flesh.  Thus the Evas, clones of Adam, were just lifeless flesh, and Rei's many clones are also lifeless, mindless flesh.
>
> So using "Metaphysical Biology" - the magic wand of the series, super-science that allows for soul manipulation - is used to fuse Evas with the souls of humans.  The idea was that in order for a human to pilot it, the soul of their mother needs to be bonded to the Eva.  Thus, Shinji's mother's soul was bonded with Eva-01, and Asuka's mother's soul was bonded with Eva-02.  Presumably, Toji's mother's soul was also bonded to Eva-03.  It needs the soul of the pilot's mother to make the link work.
>
> The problem is...Rei herself is a clone and thus has no mother; moreover, she's really got the soul of the Angel Lilith, who has no "mother" either way.
>
> So they sort of had to jerry-rig Eva-00 into working.
>
> One possibility is that it just HAS no soul, but Ritsuko's statements seem to heavily underline that Evas absolutely need a soul to function.
>
> One theory for many years was that it was the soul of Naoko Akagi: why?   The reason given was that when it goes berserk, Eva-00 attacks enemies of Naoko (Gendo, Ritsuko, the second Rei clone)
> Upon close inspection, notice that Shinji sees a vision of Rei ("Rei...or is it?") while synching with Eva-00 in episode 14....or, that when Rei 2's mind links with the Angel's in episode 23, her first reaction is "is this the mean inside the Eva? No this is someone else"
>
> And if you think about it, Gendo, Ritsuko, and the *current* Rei (Rei 2) are all also enemies of not just Naoko, but Rei 1, the first Rei clone (the girl Rei that Naoko strangled).  It seems to just be a coincidence that Naoko happened to have similar enemies.
>
> How did they do this?
>
> Another fun trick with Metaphysical Biology is that *souls can exist as fractions of themselves*, though not quite stable.  This is confimed with Asuka's mother: she didn't get her soul completely absobed by Eva-02, just the "maternal part"...leaving the remaining part to go insane (this is why she doesn't recognize Asuka as her own daugther; having that part of her soul removed drove her to madness).  However, once Asuka's mother died, they united both parts of her soul in Eva-02, and it works fine (notice that in End of Eva, beneath the reassuring voice of Asuka's mother in Eva-02, there's also a tiny whisper repeating lines that she send when crazy, "die with me" etc; both parts are united in there now).
>
> Further, Rei has Lilith's soul, she's the container for Lilith's soul.

> [...]

I like this explanation. It works with Kyoko without any issues like
'why isn't the body inert', its problems are easily avoided with
Eva-01 ('why isn't Yui likewise envious of her quasi-body going
about?' 'all part of her plan'), it gives a reasonable explanation for
how Rei-3 could be more emotional though she should be lacking quite a
few memories, and the disconfirming evidence is not there - we never
learn of Eva-02 interacting with Kyoko's body, enviously or otherwise,
and we know nothing about 03 or 04, and it seems to work wit the Mass
Production Evas as well: if Adam/Kaworu's soul was in 12 or more
pieces, then it's not surprising that they would be insanely berserk
and cannibalistic in EoE.

--
gwern