[EVA] Overthinking (WAS Ghost Rei WAS Eva 00...)

V V frumious99 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 10:19:22 EST 2009

Even in Tolkien fandom, there were inconsistencies about "just exactly
what are Orcs?" and even Tolkien himself demonstrated that his ideas were in flux; he was always revising that concept.  Nonetheless fans were able to use the functional answer that "they're probably corrupted Elves, that's the idea Tolkien was using at the point the book was written"

*Every* major fictional series has some inconsistencies, or concepts that the writer(s) themselves changed along the way, but that doesn't mean they're all up to COMPLETE interpretation.

Saying "Eva is infinitely interpretable" isn't a great triump or something to be proud of.  It means Eva fandom is at the same level Tolkien fandom was in the 1960's when the hippies took over.

It's as if you were to say:  "Every theory is correct! Which means my theory is just as valid as anything Anno says, even if I directly contradict him! So sit down, shut up, read by fanfiction and treat it as the Truth about the series!"

"Eva is open to interpretation" was always a thinly veiled excuse for the fapboys to shove their pornographic fanfiction (I.e. ReDo) down our throats.  A way for random fanboys to get to be treated as "experts"; i.e. Sean McCoy.

This will stop.