[EVA] Tokyo-3

Carl Horn once at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 12 19:34:03 EST 2009

>> --C.
>
> Another important point here is the secretive nature of the
> Geofront and Nerv in general. The massive construction projects
> need to create the fortress would need some sort of cover story.
> Rebuilding a high tech new capital would have served to allay
> suspicion of why so many millions of tons of materials and hours of
> manpower were being sunk into a tourist hotspot.

Well, sure, but although NERV had some secrets buried deeper than
others, the basic fact they existed and had a massive facility of
some sort located under Tokyo-3 doesn't itself seem to have been much
of a secret; the UN knows it's there, as does the Japanese
government. And it seems to me that building a huge metropolis as a
cover story for a secret base is a bit of a double-edged tactic,
since you're counting on them to live right on top of it for years
without ever catching on (did no one ever notice the gigantic hatches
on certain streets? ^_^). That's why I think it might be a better
idea if the people there knew the city was built for security and had
certain underground facilities--just not what the real purpose of the
whole city was. In such a case, you hide the "secret" by putting it
in plain sight and simply allowing everyone to misinterpret it.

Something interesting that strikes me about NERV is the lack of
respect they receive--the guy who grouses to Gendo on the plane about
their budget, the dude who makes fun of Ritsuko during the Jet Alone
incident, the UN and Japanese government asserting military
authority. They seem to be viewed as an expensive research program of
dubious utility and safety, with no real friends or political support.

It's not just that "the final enemy is other people"--they're
Japanese citizens who are massacred in their own country by their own
army. It would be the equivalent in real life of the President
suddenly ordering the 82nd Airborne to assault the Sandia National
Laboratory or Lawrence Livermore, with orders to kill all the
scientists and staff there. Even if for some sci-fi reason he felt he
needed to do it, the political implications of even considering such
an act would be immense. NERV, apparently, had so little respect that
the prime minister was able to give such an order and have it be
obeyed--not "go in and arrest them all," or "surround the place and
order them to surrender," but simply, "massacre them without warning."