[EVA] Gender analysis in the series, vis a vis Asuka and Misato

V V frumious99 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 21:01:13 EST 2009

Has it come to the point that after 14 years of fanart and fanfiction, and a heck of a lot of porn fanart particularly the ones that have *no* basis in the series....you have honestly conflated the two so much that you consider them synonoymous? That you've even forgotten that this wasn't the way things were at first?

Citing the large amount of porn fanart in existence is not justification for the existence of said porn fanart.  It means we've got to change the very way we think about "Eva".

Watching the show straight off TV was different from borrowing VHS tapes, watching at a convention, then meeting up online; there weren't any old school fans there to paternalistically pass off their own fanfiction as part of the "experience" of watching the show.   It was just the series.

Meanwhile.....14 years on, it's still "that show that no one understands"; pause to think that maybe the constant waves of divergent, misinterpretting fanfic had a role to play in that?

I don't walk into a convention panel on "Eva" then expect the panelist to rant about their own fanfic for an hour (i.e. Sean McCoy), I explain a theonering.net-style, theforce.net-style, Star Trek-style "panel explaining the series"