[EVA] Moura interviews with Gainax people & others

ObsessiveMathsFreak obsessivemathsfreak at obsessivemathsfreak.org
Thu Dec 17 20:31:13 EST 2009

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:54 PM, V V <frumious99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> It's only "obvious" if you even know that Japanese gravemarkers look like that, and at the time, I didn't.
>>

> But you should have. By EoE, you had already seen Yui's "grave" in a
> massive and visually-striking field of similar cenotaphs, at least
> once. (Were there multiple shots of the graveyard? I can only clearly
> remember one.)

There are multiple shots in dreamscape type sequences. There are
definitely some in EoTV, and I believe there may be some in #16 as well.

> I remember being quite struck by that stark scene; I knew immediately,
> between the nailed-up cross and the close resemblance to Yui's marker,
> that those were gravemarkers.
> (And also the parallel: Yui was dissolved away like presumably most or
> all of the people Shinji put up markers for.)

I'm not convinced they are grave-markers and not just half destroyed
poles which only _look_ like grave-markers. Regardless, the meaning is
clear, but I'm not convinced anyone actually erected these things.