[EVA] Moura interviews with Gainax people & others

once at ix.netcom.com once at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 17 23:38:51 EST 2009

This understandably can't be used as a reference, because there is nothing to support it but my word, but I have mentioned before that I received a phone call from a Gainax staffer while episode #25 and #26 were in production, asking me to confirm where in the Book of Revelation the part about "I am the Alpha and the Omega" appears. I mentioned that it actually appears three times in different forms, and gave the citations. The implication was that they were considering quoting it in the final episodes.

In any case, they did not use those verses, but if you're skeptical that they would have considered such a thing, note that the booklets that accompanied the Japanese Evangelion I, II, and III soundtracks actually do have Biblical quotes as epigrams. These were some of the very first things ever released on the show; I believe "Eva I" hit the market even before the TV series had finished its initial airing. "Eva III," as you might know (that's the one with all the remixes of "Fly Me To The Moon") would become the first anime soundtrack to go #1 in Japan since GALAXY EXPRESS 999.

The book "Adam"--the one which covered the Angels and male characters of the series--quotes Acts 5:38-39 on its back. If you know that quote, you can see that by this point they've moved pretty far down the spectrum away from "this was chosen without meaning and just looks cool."

I'm not writing a thesis on Evangelion for a religious studies class. I've just got eyes (and ears...playing the "Hallelujah Chorus" from the "Messiah"--it just "sounded cool," right? The kids, they're totally into Handel these days! No religious symbolism there! In fact, it's really a song about...aliens!). That's all.

As I continue to say, I don't believe that Evangelion is an allegory meant to reflect someone's faith. To be clear, I also don't think a work of art has to be religious or pseudo-religious to be meaningful or thoughtful. It isn't that I'm trying to read religion into Evangelion so people will respect the series more, or regard it as more serious or worthy.

In fact, I don't think I'm reading anything about religion into Evangelion, so much as simply pointing out what the series already contains in this scene, and that scene, and...If Gainax was really concerned about people misinterpreting the religious elements in Eva after the TV series aired, they had a strange way of showing it when they made EoE, because the film ratchets these things up tremendously.

In fact, an interesting way of describing the difference between the TV and the film ending is that the TV ending not only lacks the action and apocalypse, it also lacks the religious tone and iconography of EoE. Certainly Evangelion can be viewed as a psychological analysis, but I would argue from that perspective, the TV ending is the more "relevant" one, because it relies more or less entirely on human discussion, reflection, and analysis, rather than apocalyptic spectacle.