[EVA] Religion and Gainax was RE: [EVA] Moura interviews

Carl Horn once at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 27 13:42:33 EST 2009

On Dec 26, 2009, at 10:39 PM, V V wrote:

> The "we watched it dubbed on TV, in order, never skipping an
> episode" 'crowd' have a better grasp of the series than that
> "watched poorly fansubbed VHS tapes and often skipped episodes
> because we couldn't find the tape" original late 1990's crowd,
> which defined "Eva fandom" - you inherited their mistakes, we all did.

This seems to be a misperception that I should perhaps correct. ADV
moved very quickly to acquire the rights to Evangelion; their version
was available in the U.S. starting in early 1997, as either a dubbed
VHS, subtitled VHS, or (expensive) bilingual LD. While it's true
their dub didn't show on TV until considerably later, both it and
their subtitled version were best-sellers for ADV on home video
throughout the late 1990s.

--C.