[EVA] Religion and Gainax was RE: [EVA] Moura interviews (Minor 2.0 spoilers)

Aaron Clark aaronc1 at umbc.edu
Sun Dec 27 23:56:38 EST 2009

V, get over yourself.  This fandom is perfectly fine as it is.  The show
is wonderful in its complexity and ambiguity.  It provides plenty of room
for discussion, theory, and personal revelation and interpretation.  The
creators of this show intended for the show to be a personal narrative,
Anno even said so before the show started:

"It is a production where my only thought was to burn my feelings into film."

And then after he extended that to the viewers of the show, as Peter has
offered with this quotation from Anno himself:

"Any person can see it and give his/her own answer. In other words, we're
offering viewers to think by themselves, so that each person can imagine
his/her own world."

You've said that I'm a fan of "Aaron Clark's Evangelion".  This is not
true in a literal sense, only in a figurative one.  I've long been an
advocate of finding your own answers, you should know that by now.  You
claim to be a fan of "Hideaki Anno's Evangelion".  Well this is what it
is, a sublimely imperfect story that is in many ways a mosaic of a lot of
different things.  They don't all fit together perfectly, but together
they form a brilliant and unique image that you can stand back and
appreciate without focusing too hard on any one piece.  If you go over the
pieces at a granular level, you might just miss the big picture.  So stand
back and appreciate it for a change.

You cannot give people all the answers.  They haven't been kept away from
new fans, or old fans.  They haven't been ignored in favor of fan fiction,
porn, or whatever you think other fans do.  They only exist within
ourselves.  That is Hideaki Anno's Evangelion, and I would argue that
you're fighting against it at every step, despite your staunch advocacy of
it.

--Aaron