[EVA] Gender analysis in the series, vis a vis Asuka and Misato

R_J_N r_j_n at btopenworld.com
Mon Dec 28 04:57:22 EST 2009

However, what deeply upsets me is that most "Gender studies" on Eva seem to
be largely focused on Kaworu and Shinji, rather than having strong female
characters like Asuka and Misato.

@VV, the attraction for me of Eva (& anime generally, which started with
BGC, Gunbuster & Dominion) has always been the strong female characters. The
Shinji-Kaworu thing is way overblown. Misato has always been, & will always
be, my favourite anime lady. But the Oepidal themes & deeper psychology of
Eva are all female-centric.

Kaworu was the last, most sophisticated angel, who had the most devastating
effect on Shinji. But he was ultimately "monster of the week". Aauka was
emotionally mind-fragged by a mental attack - on her ego & cracking her
shell that repressed her most painful memories. Shinji was mind-fragged
(taking the EoE route) by an emotional attack, offering comfort, hope. And
then making he himself destroy it. Misato could have counselled him, as the
sole approachable humane person standing - but she was too numbed by losing
Kaji, discovering the truth, & in a warhead state of mind.
RJN