[EVA] Anno's 2006 statement about _Rebuild_

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 20:40:22 EDT 2010

I recently ran into an Hideaki Anno quote I didn't recognize but which
looked familiar. After some searching, I found that buried in their
Flash gunk, Funimation had translated a long statement about
_Rebuild_, and this apparently was also included in their DVD booklets
for 1.0.

I transcribed from the Flash:

> The visual work called Evangelion is composed of a variety of desires.

> The desire to put our own honest feelings on film.
> The desire to convey to as many people as possible the fundamental appeal of touching primitive emotions and how versatile the medium of animation is in its expression and images that it is capable of realizing.
> The desire to take the exhausted animation of Japan and carry it into the future.
> The desire to shatter the spreading sense of helplessness.
> The desire to carry on the strength of spirit that lives on in the real world.

> The desire to realize these desires once again.

> And it turned out that the best way for us to do that right now is to redo Evangelion for the theater.
> I do think, why revive a title that is over 10 years old now?
> I also feel that Eva is already old.
> But in these 12 years, there has been no newer anime than Eva.

> In this closed, stagnant modern era, I think what is important is not to have a technical discussion, but to state one's aspirations.
> The teens and tweens are supposed to be the primary demographic supporting animation, but as they lose interest, I feel that there needs to be a work of animation targeted towards them.
> I want to be of use in some small way to the current state of animation, and that hardened my resolve to revisit this title.

> As a visual producer, I am setting out to construct a modern version of the world of Evangelion with a refreshed frame of mind.
> In order to do that, instead of staying with GAINAX, I have established a new production company and production studio to go back to the basics and get a fresh start.
> It is so that we may be free of the past, refrain from taking advantage of the present, and aim for a future with progress.
> As fortune would have it, we are beginning to gather a wonderful roster of staff members, from those who worked on the old project to new people who are just joining us now.
> There is a growing sense that we are creating something that will surpass the old.

> Eva is a story of repetition.
> It is a story where our protagonist faces the same situation many times over and determinedly picks himself back up again.
> It is a story of the will to move forward, even if only a little.
> It is a story of the resolve to want to be together, even though it is frightening to have contact with others and to endure ambiguous loneliness.
> I would be most gratified if you find enjoyment in these 4 parts as it takes the same story and metamorphoses into something different.

> Finally, our work also falls under the service industry.
> Naturally, we will make it accessible to those who do not already know Evangelion, we will condense the fun as a theatrical film, and we will reconstruct the world and aim to create a work of visual entertainment that can be enjoyed by all.

> - Original Creator / General Director Hideaki Anno,
> September 28, 2006 on a clear day in Kamakura

Quarter-way through, I realized where I had seen his before -
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-02-20/hideaki-anno-releases-statement-about-new-evangelion-movies

I find it interesting how different the translations seem to be. For example:

> The teens and tweens are supposed to be the primary demographic supporting animation, but as they lose interest, I feel that there needs to be a work of animation targeted towards them.

> To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.

Or,

> And it turned out that the best way for us to do that right now is to redo Evangelion for the theater.
> I do think, why revive a title that is over 10 years old now?
> I also feel that Eva is already old.

> For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
> Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
> "Eva is too old", we felt.

For a person who is as dependent on translations as I am, the wide
differences are sobering.

--
gwern