[EVA] Evangelion is not "endlessly re-interpretable"

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 15:50:15 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, SSD <sailorstardust at evageeks.org> wrote:
>>Isn't it the other way around? the anime series was based off the manga?
>
> According to Sadamoto, he used the anime series as a base when creating the
> manga: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_%28manga%29(Although
> the manga was released first, the anime was produced first, as I
> understand it.)
>
> Also, Yamaga didn't even seem to know what Proposal *was* when NaveryW
> mentioned it to him: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9158 Also
> possibly relevant: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=9421
>
> ~SSD

It's worth noting that the proposal doesn't seem to have been
particularly important to Gainaxers or dignified a capitalized name. I
mentioned earlier that I had looked through _The Notenki Memoirs_ and
found what could well have been the Proposal - but it's so unimportant
to Takeda that one cannot tell for certain and he only mentions it
because it involved an unusual trip. Given Yamaga's sieve-like memory,
his uncertainty is what one ought to expect (him remembering it would
be surprising and suspicious to me, like his answer to 'whose soul is
in Eva 0').

--
gwern