[EVA] Evangelion is not "endlessly re-interpretable"

Codename V revolutionofevangelion_dot_org at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 17:13:36 EDT 2010

It is indeed probable, Gwern, that "Evangelion Proposal" was not so much "the
original outline, set in stone"....so much as what you might call a "snapshot"
of what their ideas were at the time.

Particularly, its not even so much that their ideas were solid...but that they
had to put SOMETHING down to tell the producers.  The whole point of "proposal"
was to shop around the show to the investors and networks, which is hard to do
when its still a shifting, seething mass of ideas.

But this is nothing new; we always knew that their ideas for the show were in a
constant state of flux.

but that can be true of many books/movies/TV shows, its just that anime that
late in production is usually more solidified.

"Eva Proposal" might not really have been a big, definitive "Outline" - a
keyframe storyboard of the entire series -- just a random smattering of loosely
what they thought the series was like a given *month* in 1993 or so, when they
"ran out of time and had to hand in something to the teacher" as it were.

It is correct that we shouldn't treat it as definitive, it was always just a
rough guess.

Nonetheless, it does provide good evidence that such ideas were *vaguely being
thrown around* as "the First Ancestral Race", that kind of thing.  The idea that
"Angels are literally being sent by a Judeo-Christian God" is increasingly
discredited by this evidence; they're just aliens buried underground for years
in the antarctic (Sadamoto even said the show just ripped off that part from
Devilman, etc.)

....basically, I think we should treat Eva Proposal like a random sampling of
JRR Tolkien's notes from his study, providing a crude outline on Lord of the
Rings made from an early draft in say, 1940 (he was writing from 1937-1954).
Was this a "definitive outline"?  Heck no.  In fact, if you were to ask him,
he'd be openly surprised that you thought he had a firm idea of the story that
early in the writing process.  These were just loose ideas he jotted down in a
VERY "early build" of the design phase.  *Nonetheless*, we can see evidence of
major ideas which happened later, confirmed to be present since the beginning
(i.e. people accused Tolkien of writing LOTR about WWII and nuclear
weapons...his response was that he started in 1937, and early notes confirm that
central plot elements like the Ring Quest were in development long before the
nuclear bombs in 1945)).