[EVA] V Bombs at NYAF

Codename V revolutionofevangelion_dot_org at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 08:43:13 EDT 2010

Oh yeah, I-CON 28 was a disaster.  My peeps who were there think so too, and the
joke we have is "if nothing else, things can't get worse than I-CON 28"....it
wasn't really the staff's fault or anything, it couldn't be helped:  I-CON is
normally at the big Stonybrook University campus, but due to construction that
year we had to move out to Suffolk Community College.  The rooms were smaller,
no one knew where anything was, and the "main stage" was now a walled off
section of the gymnasium next to the dealer's floor, impossible to hear guests
at.

Again, I sympathize and understand that staffing this must have been a
nightmare.  You see, I got *four* panels accepted, but the first problem was
that they mixed up the order of the panels in the schedule; not really a
problem, its all Eva stuff.

The REAL problem was when we came into the room, and realized 1-it only had 20
seats when we got 75 people the year before, and more importantly 2 - there was
physically no digital projector in the room.

"1. Some guy dressed as “V” (from V for Vendetta) having a nervous  breakdown
while leading a panel about anime because his classroom didn’t  have a
projector"

 Odd that he uses the phrase "nervous breakdown", there was just a lot of
yelling.  Its not that "V doesn't know how to turn the projector on"...there was
no projector.  And they knew in advance that I needed audio-visual hookup, I'd
been to meetings before to stress that "this is a powerpoint lecture I need a
projector" and they didn't have one.   Then, the A/V guy *physically wasn't on
campus* or something (the con was actually split between three locations)...and
in desperation the programmers asked if I could just run the panel verbally
without powerpoint.  And I just had to stress that, besides the fact that we
already lost 20 minutes waiting, it was a visual presentation so there was no
way to just recite it all without the images.  So I gave everyone some doritos
bags to pass around and we just had to wait it out.

So the big stress was 1 - this was signed up as an "audio-visual" panel, its a
powerpoint lecture.  The equivalent of say, a big Otakon panel having no
functioning microphones.  It wasn't "just" that there was no digital projector,
say that to the AMV guys.  2 - No one knew where anything or anyone was because
of the move; I mean crowds of people were wandering the halls looking for
drastically rescheduled panels.

So then we just did "Panel 1" in the timeslot for "Panel 2" and I just skipped
"Panel 4" entirely.  So what ultimately became "Eva franchise" (the first video
of a panel you saw me running) was a few hours *after* the first time slot fell
apart;  and I hardly seem like I'm "having a nervous breakdown" in there.

Next year I-CON 29 was great though, we moved back to Stonybrook and there were
no further problems like that.  It was just a bad situation what with the move
and all, the staff did what they could it just wasn't a good time and there were
scheduling problems.