[EVA] Japanator hasn't seen Hetalia?

Codename V revolutionofevangelion_dot_org at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 08:55:05 EDT 2010

What I'm baffled about is...er...haven't you seen Hetalia?

We recorded the panel and this is a screenshot of the slide in question:

http://revolutionofevangelion.org/wiki/images/0/0b/HetaliaAmericaSpeaksAmerican.png

"American" was...a joke.  I mean haven't you seen America in  Hetalia?  Like
when America accuses England of not speaking normally,  and England gets upset
that he's *England* he sets the standard for what  "English" is...and America is
so ego-centric that he demands that  people speak "American"

This was a Hetalia joke.  People in the audience laughed at it.  I'm  curious if
you haven't seen Hetalia that may be why you didn't  understand it.

I don't know why Japanator didn't get the Hetalia reference, much of the
audience did.

as for devoting time to Religion in Eva, he says its not an issue anymore....but
really, there are still many "religion in Eva" panels being run today, so I
think this was a legitimate need.

If they don't think the psych disorders I associate with the characters match,
fine, I'm not a certified psychologist.   But at least its a step up from the
"lets assign eva characters to kabbalah sephiroth positions" routine.  I felt
pretty good about it.

As for the doing it in cosplay thing, no it is no longer the "adult" thing to
do, and I take credit and responsibility as "V" -- *that* sir, is my name and
title! -- a MAJOR point of the panel was that for far too long, people could
would dress up very formally and proceed to spout off nonsense about Evangelion.

Indeed, many of the "academic" and formally typed up and published "articles" in
Mechademia on Evangelion, are gibberish (specifically the work of Susan Napier,
and Yarborough...nothing of merit has been produced on Eva).

But to re-iterate:

1 - I don't think Japanator understood my Hetalia jokes, but the audience did
2 - I understand that you don't like my V costume thing, but...how is this new
for NYAF?  Nothing has changed.
3 - You disagree that I spent so much time dispelling info on religion perhaps?
Well it is still something people talk about.
4 - You don't think the psych stuff was accurate; fine, that's a legitimate
argument based on "evidence", we could productively debate that

Overall, the panels went very well.  I was of course, nervous as always, but the
audience seemed to enjoy it.  150-200 people each time, we didn't do a formal
head count.

Gainax panel actually went better than the first one, biggest problem was that
we forgot to hit 'record' so I've only got clips from my cellphone camera.

FUNimation panel Q&A was also good; Mike McFarland and Taliesin Jaffe were in
the audience, and I got to walk up to microphone to ask questions.

Basically I asked that while we don't know about new English voices, will the
established cast from the first movie return; even minor characters, for the
sake of continuity?  I.e. Caitlin Glass lives in Europe now.  And one of them
ran over to McFarland, who said that *yes* Caitlin Glass will still be available
to be Maya.

All's right with the world.

So people came to successful panels and seemed to be informed.

Its a shame Japanator left 10 minutes before the end:  that's when I showed
everyone just how loyal a hungry dog really is...