[EVA] Japanator hasn't seen Hetalia?

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 10:15:36 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Codename V
<revolutionofevangelion_dot_org at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What I'm baffled about is...er...haven't you seen Hetalia?
>
> We recorded the panel and this is a screenshot of the slide in question:
>
> http://revolutionofevangelion.org/wiki/images/0/0b/HetaliaAmericaSpeaksAmerican.png
>

> "American" was...a joke.  I mean haven't you seen America in  Hetalia?  Like
> when America accuses England of not speaking normally,  and England gets upset
> that he's *England* he sets the standard for what  "English" is...and America is
> so ego-centric that he demands that  people speak "American"

I think it is just one of the reflexive over-corrections people
sometimes engage in when half-educated - like classic faux grammar
corrections like who/whom or dangling participles (invented by
teachers or textbook writers to sound more like Latin).

Of course it's legitimate to speak of translating into American (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_English ), although we more
usually call this localizing. _Harry Potter_ had to be translated from
British English to American English (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_in_translation#Americanization_as_translation
).

There are different words, idioms, accents, and even grammar differs
in some respects (compare Scottish English with its ellipses &
compression to southern dialects; for more examples, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences#Grammar
).

But it's useless to point this out to the _Japanator_ blogger. He
knows just enough about linguistics to be dangerous, and uses it to
make his rhetorical point: 'I am more intelligent than this costumed
loser and here's the proof which you, my equally educated audience,
will accept and be amused by'.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net/