[EVA] Extra Curricular Lesson with Hideaki Anno

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 22:58:57 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Aaron Clark <aaronc1 at umbc.edu> wrote:
> The ANN article had it wrong.  Anno's visitation to the school was
> September 13th, 1999.  You can very easily date it from two pieces of
> information.  First of all, the day and month can clearly be seen on the
> chalkboard in the room, and more importantly, a fairly fresh cut can be
> seen on his forehead from where he fell down that escalator on August 27,
> 1999.
>
> I don't know where they got 1997 from, I think because in the Gainax
> visitation footage, there is a cel being painted that looks like Kare
> Kano.  Who knows when that bit was shot, or if it was a reproduction cell.
>  I don't know how those things work.
>
> --Aaron

Double-checking, the 9 September bit is obvious enough.

But you're basing the 1999 date on a cut on his forehead? I could barely see it.

I think between Sevakis's specific 1997 date, which coheres with the
release of EoE in July, and such a flimsy reason to date it 2 years
later, I'll go with Sevakis.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net/