[EVA] _Japanorama_, season 1, episode 2 (2002)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 23:32:10 EDT 2010

In honor of the release of _Hideaki Anno Talks to Kids_, here's
something that's been in my files for a little while.

Context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanorama#Series_1

_Japanorama_ interviewed Anno as part of its mini-section on _Love &
Pop_ and enjo kōsai; it took place outside with them sitting down on
grass amidst a bunch of college students or young people (I wondered
if a film was going to be projected). He got rather less time than I
had hoped, but I might as well cover what it did say.

My quotes might not be *perfect* (the translator has a rather funny
British accent - very plummy and high-pitched - and overlapped Anno at
points) but I'm confident that any errors are small ones which don't
affect the sense. The second long quote is continued over several
scenes, so I figured it was probably one quote rather than several.

They are:

> "It seems like all ['older'?] men see younger girls as better than anything else. I guess it's because of their age. They have this incredible energy which older men are lacking. In fact, there's no energy left in Japan."

> "I made a film by gathering all sorts of interesting footage. I thought that an ordinary scene could look different by changing the point of view. If it you do it like this [wears camera like hat], you can see what the actor is looking at. It is not the camera-man but the actor who wears the camera like this, so it's the real action. I can show you another one [puts camera in groin]. It would look like what you can see between your legs."

>"Many girls don't see what is wrong with selling their bodies and making some money. They can't see why it is the wrong thing. They can't imagine what would happen if they were to do it and get in trouble."

(The first quote echoes what Anno told _The Atlantic_ and said in his
Rebuild manifesto, IMO.)

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net/