JSDF- good or bad? Life and death (was Re: [EVA] Neon

Patrick Yip Patrick.Yip at ing-barings.com
Tue May 12 14:25:22 EDT 1998

     PY @ TOKYO

First of all, I think most of the NERV people were military, or at least
quasi-military.

## I don't really think so. I think there are a lot of operational staff, and
## they are quite obviously unarmed even though they sport military-looking
## uniform.

Second, it's hard to tell who in NERV is armed and who isn't. We see in
episode 19 that there's at least some sort of remote access capability to
NERV's computer systems. (Maya can access them with her non-wired
laptop.) I see no reason why this access would not apply to the weapons
systems.

## Again in the movies, we see scenes when staff are shown not armed.
## I think the point in the movie is to illustrate the brutality and
## mercilessness of JSDF, composed of human individuals, against
## obviously overwhelmed Nerv personnels, quite a lot of them unarmed
## and willing to surrender, also composed of human individuals.
## I believe this is the point that the movie tried to convey. If we
## try to argue for the need of why JSDF has to employ a overwhelming
## force and a "save-no-quarter" engagement policy, then I'm afraid
## either (1) the movie (or the background of the story as set up
## in the TV series) failed to make that point across or (2) the
## audience failed to get the point. I am in no position to tell
## other what they think, but still I consider it something to
## feel sorry for anybody who still think the actions taken by
## the JSDF inside NERV HQ is understandable and justified after
## watching what JSDF had done to unarmed (and surrendering) NERV
## staff,

Lastly, there's the fear aspect. The JSDF probably has no real idea what
is going on in the geofront.

## I think JSDF actually thinks that things turn out more or less like
## what they had planned, according to some dialogues between JSDF
## staff... That would mean that JSDF had expected that NERV would
## be pretty much overwhelmed by their overkilling force. JSDF might
## have some good idea as to what's in NERV from sources like SEELE.