[EVA][spoilers] Inconclusive proof of the tantai's existence

Seventh Messenger nanashi96 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 13 04:59:47 EDT 1999

Quote [Patrick's RCB]:

(see marked lines, "keep seperate from each other")

[A.T. Field]
   Abbreviation of "ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD". A physical barrier of
   absolute field put out by the Angels and EVA's. It boasts
   enormous defensive power, and it is able to greatly reduce the
   power of all attacking weapons. The ability of EVA to
   neutralize the A.T.Field of the Angels is one major reason why
   EVA was considered as the only weapon against the Angels.
   However, the same A.T.Field does not exist only in the Angels
>  or EVA's. Human also possesses this field. With this A.T.Field,
>  human is able to keep seperate from each other, and to stay in
>  seperate physical forms. Nagisa Kaworu explained A.T.Field as
   "a barrier of heart that everybody has".

The term "seperate" is unclear. We define it below as:

Quote [The Random House Dictionary]:

(see definitions #7 through #10)

[sep - a - rate] (snip pronunciations)
   v.t. 1. to put or keep apart by an intervening barrier or
   space. 2. to divide into parts or groups. --v.i. 3. to part or
   withdraw, as from personal association. 4. (of a married
   couple) to stop living together without getting a divorce. 5.
   to become divided or disconnected. 6. to go in different
   directions. --adj. 7. not connected or joined. 8. unconnected
   or distinct. 9. existing or maintained independently. 10.
   individual or particular: "each separate item" --n. 11.
   Usually, [separates]. women's outer garments that may be worn
   in combination. (snip pronunciations)

Hence, the line reads,
"With this A.T.Field, human is able to keep [individual, independent] from each other, and to stay in [individual, independent] physical forms."

Logically inversing this line:
"Without this A.T.Field, human is not able to keep [individual, independent] from each other, and will not stay in [individual, independent] physical forms."

Quote [Patrick's RCB]:

[Single-Form]  (Tantai)
   The objective of the Human Complementation Plan is the induced
   artificial evolution of human into "an organism which lives as
   a total single-form". This "single-form" means a life form
   which ends as a single individual. And this term is used to
   distinguish with "community form", which is life form formed by
   a multiple of individuals.

[Community/Colony]  (GUNTAI)
   Misato used this word when she said that human are "a colony of
   worthless" from the point of view from the Complementation
   Plan. For colony, it originally means a group of individual
   organism linked to each other, each of them can produce new
   individuals by splitting or budding. Each individual organism
   within a colony can live as its own independently.

Compare this line:
"Without this A.T.Field, human is not able to keep [individual, independent] from each other . . ."
Or, inversed:
"With this A.T.Field, human is able to keep [individual, independent] from each other, and to stay in [individual, independent] physical forms."

With this line:
"Without this A.T.Field, human is not able to remain as [individual organism(s) within a colony (living on their) own independently. (guntai)]"
Or, inversed:
"With this A.T.Field, human is able to remain as
[individual organism(s) within a colony (living on their) own independently. (guntai)]"

The four lines are equal, and mean the same thing.

Now let's see the definition of [tan] ("single;" anyone is welcome to check a Japanese/English dictionary)

Quote [The Random House Dictionary]:

(see definitions #1, #3, #6, #7, #8)

[sin - gle] (snip pronunciations)
   adj. 1. one only; individual. 2. of or for one person or family
   only. 3. solitary or sole. 4. not married. 5. of one against
   one, as combat. 6. consisting of only one part, element, or
   member. 7. undivided. 8. the opposite of multiple; not
   multiple. (snip irrelevent definitions, pronunciations)

"Individual" is synonymous with "single," which is an antonym to "multiple." Hence [tantai] or "single form" is an antonym to [guntai] or "community (multiple member) form." (Do I have to find the definition of community as well?)

"Without this A.T.Field, human is not able to remain as [(guntai)]."
Becomes:
"Without this A.T.Field, human is able to remain as [antonym to (guntai)]."
Becomes:
"Without this A.T.Field, human is able to remain as [tantai]."
Or, if you like, in my own words:
"Without this AT-field, humans become tantai."

The "loss-of-the-AT-field-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-loss-of-the soul" disproof doesn't work here because, as stated earlier, [kokowa (heart)] also translates as "soul" in the line "a barrier of heart that everybody has." Quite literally, the existence of the AT-field is evidence of the power of the soul. If you lose your AT-field, you lose both your body and your soul.

SeventhOne