[EVA] Hello...& What is Fanservice?

Jesse Smith jdsmith at shell.servtech.com
Thu Oct 14 22:31:01 EDT 1999

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:51:05 PDT, "David K" <baka_shinji at hotmail.com> said:

>> I am still new to this mailing list, but have been
>> watching anime since 1991.

> I'm sorry.

Why?  Nothing wrong with being a long-term anime fan...

> Fan service entails gratuitous shots of female characters in sexually
> suggestive manner, among other things. Examples -->

Fan service doesn't have to be of females.  Utena, for example, has
plenty of fan service shots for women of Toga, Akio, Sainji, etc.
Mulder in a speedo on The X-Files was a fan service shot.

Fan service doesn't have to involve sex, either.  Fan service is
anything gratuitous that gets the fans turned on.  Unit 01 ripping
through Lilith's eye and roaring in EoE is a fan service shot.  The
homages to The Andromeda Strain in episode 10 are fan service.

> david - not a fan of fan service

I'm sorry.

--
Jesse Smith
jdsmith at servtech.com
"Don't spend the rest of your life wondering." - They Might Be Giants