[EVA] Another Kaji question

Vera LaPorte vlaporte at zoo.uvm.edu
Fri Aug 25 18:16:34 EDT 2000

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000 SonofWashu at aol.com wrote:

>     So, silly question I suppose, but... Which came first the comic or the
> anime?  Just wondering, since it's supposed to start soon in Animerica Extra
> (another reason I love that damn anthology mag), and while it doesn't really
> mean much, by way of quality of the other, I'm just the curios sort.  One of
> the best things I've watched in awhile, so I've got high hopes for the comic
> anyhow.

The manga ideas came first, though I don't think the author really
produced much before the anime.  Ikuhara tempted the author away from
GAiNAX (I wish I could remember the guy's name...Hasegawa?  I know he was
the character designer for the anime) and they worked together rather
stealthily on the anime because Ikuhara was still under contract for
Sailor Moon (and he didn't want Anno to find out).  So I guess my answer
is the Utena manga *idea* came first, but the anime took hold and then the
real manga began.

Vera