[EVA] Alternate Endings

Olivier Hagué o_hague at noos.fr
Sat Mar 10 04:36:42 EST 2001

At 02:51 10/03/01 +0000, you wrote:
>TO further the sci-fi connection:
>
>The title of TV Episode 26, "The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the
>World" is a Harlan Ellison short story, and supposedly a very good one... (I
>don't like Harlan Ellison, so I haven't read it...)
>
>The title of Movie Episode 26, "Magokoro wo kimi ni" is the Japanese
>translation of "Flowers for Algernon." How they translated that to
>"Pureheart for you" is beyond me...

Actually, it's the Japanese title of "Charly", the _movie_ based on
"Flowers for Algernon".
The Japanese title of the novel is just "Algernon ni Hantaba o".
Anno most probably chose to use the movie title because episode 26' was a
"theatrical episode".

Anno has been using SF novel/short stories titles for final episodes of his
series for quite some time, now...
The 39th and final episode of "Nadia  The Secret of Blue Water" was named
"Hoshi o Tsugu Mono...". That was the Japanese title of "Inherit the
Stars", by James P. Hogan.
The 6th and final episode of "GunBuster  Aim for the Top !" was named
"Hateshi Naki Nagare no Hate ni". That was the title of a novel by Komatsu
Sakyô.