[EVA] The Eva card game [uh, sorta PG-13 stuff, I guess]

adam green kalafarski agkalafa at midway.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 12 11:25:36 EDT 2001

I think some clarification is neccessary for people not familiar with the
card game. The double sided Hokan cards (translated as "Instrumentality
Cards" in the game rules I've read) have a special goal for the player to
achieve. For instance, there is a "Auska gets Shinji" card, a "Rei gets
Shinji" card, a "Shinji reconciles with Gendo" card etc. These cards and
the text on them could be seen as alternate possibilites of what could
happen. Like fanfiction, the text in these cards seem to give a plausible
justification for each ending. With that in mind, the characterizations in
these cards should be taken with a grain of salt.

This also opens up the question of how much we can trust what is on the
rest of the cards. Who wrote the card's text? How much (if any) contact
was there with Gianax? Don't get my wrong, even if the text on these cards
are essentialy a fan's interpritation all the translations I've seen so
far have been well written and interesting enough to intrigue me. I'm more
interested in finding a new way to enjoy EVA than finding the "one hidden
truth" of the show.

-Adam